This month we are commemorating the battle of Normandy that started with D-Day. To honour this important historical occasion, we have a special contest in which you can show off your epic battle prowess to us! If you score highly in battle, just send us the replay as proof and you could win some gold!
On the evening of May 26th 1940, the Admiralty issued an order to begin the evacuation of Allied forces from France to the British Isles. Operation Dynamo, as it became known, began in full on May 27th and lasted until June 4th. During this time, 338,226 soldiers were evacuated successfully, on numerous ships ranging from the biggest naval destroyers to the tiniest of fishing vessels. However, the mission was not without cost. The Allied forces were forced to leave behind 2472 guns, over 65,000 vehicles, 20,000 motorcyles and half a million tonnes of supplies. During the evacuation, 9 destroyers (6 British and 3 French) were sunk and 19 more were damaged. 200 of the smaller craft were also sunk and twice as many were damaged.
Almost exactly four years later, the Allied forces returned. On June 6th 1944 (which later became known as D-Day) Operation Neptune – the landing phase of Operation Overlord began in full. The operation was the largest amphibious invasion in the world’s history. Over 160,000 troops landed on the Normandy beaches on 6th June 1944, aided by nearly 200,000 Naval and Merchant Navy personnel in over 5,000 ships. Although the invasion ended in victory for the Allied forces, the costs were significant with over 12,000 Allied casualties and an estimate of between 4,000 and 9,000 casualties on the German side. Nonetheless, this event proved to be the turning point of the entire war. With their foothold on Normandy established, the Allied forces were able to sweep through Europe and begin to bring the Second World War to a close.
To honour these events, we are having a contest in which you can show off your heroism in battle. All you need to do is to send us the experience value of your highest-scoring battle fought between June 5th and June 11th, along with the replay file so we can see it for ourselves.
1) Only one submission per player.
2) Judging will be in three categories:
3) All premium vehicles of all tiers will be classed in the Tier VIII - X category.
4) Only replays from battles which take place between 5th June up until 23:59 CEST (9:59pm GMT) on June 11th are eligible for the contest. However, the result can be submitted until 23:59 CEST (9:59pm GMT) on Tuesday 12th June.
5) Submissions should be sent to the Contests_EU@Wargaming.net email address.
Here is an example of a correct email submission:
Subject: 1868 XP gained – 7th June 2012 – Lady_Inquisitor
Main Body: Attached: 20120607_XXXX
6) Winners will be judged by the amount of experience they received for the battle. Premium account bonus and daily bonus (for first victory) do count towards the score.
Good luck and have fun!